Brit Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute Show - The World's Greatest Pink Floyd Show
Brit Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute Show - Discovery Tour 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC, 4/14/13

Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC, 4/14/13 4 years 4 months ago #2935

• grubin
This was my first Brit Floyd show, and I was thoroughly impressed by the bands' mastery of the Pink Floyd catalog. I saw The Wall performed live in Los Angeles in February of 1980, which remains amongst my most memorable concerts. Particularly great about the Brit Floyd show was the diversity and amount of material presented compared to a PF show of old. While the visual elements of the show were terrific, they were decidedly leaner than the full-blown Wall production, thankfully, which meant that this show was more about watching musicians perform highly technical music and less about theatrics.

We sat in row B, middle of the house – ideal seats for a great view of these very talented musicians. My only complaint, and it is a big one, was the mix was horrendous. DPAC is a new theater that was designed with acoustics in mind and after seeing about 15 shows there over the last two years, I am confident that the sound can be and usually is great in this venue. Iain Anderson was here 6 months ago performing Thick as a Brick and that was a perfect mix from a similar part of the house. The biggest issue with the mix at the Brit Floyd show was the bass guitar was way too loud and excessively boomy in the lower register. There was no nuance to the sound, no sense of tonal variation and amazingly it drowned out guitars and drums (cymbals seemed as if they were barely miked at all) much of the time. We had hoped that this aberration would improve as the show went on or at least after intermission when concerns were registered, but no luck.

If Brit Floyd comes back to DPAC (and I definitely hope that they do), then I would love to see them again, but I would hope and expect that the sound would be greatly improved. The music and the musicians are far too good for their performance to be marred in this fashion.

Awesome set selection by the way, included the unexpected inclusion of "One of These Days" – RIGHT ON!!

Thank you to Brit Floyd!

Careful Eugene
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC, 4/14/13 4 years 4 months ago #2936

I was at this show and I didn't have an issue with the sound. In fact, I thought it was quite impressive. I was sat a little further back than row B, but there was nothing I could really pick out as being odd. I did notice that there were sub-woofer speakers on the stage pointing directly at the front few rows so maybe that was the reason for you hearing a lot of bass. Who knows?! I most definitely heard guitars singing to me.

Comfortably Numb was probably the highlight. Damian's solo was amazing.

The lights were great as usual and the band were on form once again.

Thanks for a breath-taking show. See you next time.

Brian

Re: Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC, 4/14/13 4 years 4 months ago #2938

• skotch
How many times does it need pointing out that the best seats in any theatre are those as close to the mixing desk as possible - that is where the sound is focussed. What is the obsession with sitting as close to the stage as possible - you crane your neck because invariably the band are performing above you on a stage, you get blinded by the lights and consequently miss most of what is going on and in this case as someone else has pointed out, you get shaken to pieces by the subwoofers that need to be placed on the floor for full effect.

<walks away having had his 2d-worth rant>

Re: Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC, 4/14/13 4 years 4 months ago #2939

• grubin
I'm very glad to know that the sound was better for others. We were seated well away from the large stage-based subwoofers, but direct positioning in front of these large drivers may not necessarily affect local sound levels anyway. More likely was that our seating was positioned near a node at a site of constructive interference with associated standing wave creation. Surprisingly prominent in a newly constructed theater where there was undoubtedly substantial effort placed at minimizing reflections that result in the types of room resonance modes that we likely encountered. I will look for seats slightly further back next time.

For the two-dimensional ranter: the sound engineers were positioned at the back of the theatre. This is not always the case at DPAC, where I have seen the engineers positioned in other locations for other shows. When purchasing tickets, there is no indication as to where the sound engineers will be positioning themselves within the theatre, so the notion of achieving aural nirvana through proximate positioning to the sound engineers would require prescience that is unavailable to most. Regardless, we all go to shows for a variety of reasons. For me, it is to experience the virtuosity of the musicians in its most ephemeral manifestation – observing them producing music through the highly refined and dynamic interface between the human body and the hard chunks of wood, metal, and plastic that are their musical instruments. I go to watch fingers, hands, facial expressions, cross-stage communication and the gear that conveys the music from the musicians. Yes, I want excellent sound to appreciate all that is being produced, but I will continue to place a premium on the visual as well as the auditory when ever possible. ... and one thing they got right when designing DPAC is that the stage is not high relative to the front row seats, so neck craning is not a part of the experience.

To each their own.

Re: Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC, 4/14/13 4 years 4 months ago #2940

• snappnekk
  • Thank you received: 52
just want to comment about SKOTCH's assessment about seat locations that I entirely agree with. Most of the shows I go to i pick seats not too close but center if possible. In the case of BF I sit in the first row sometimes, (once a few years ago my friends girlfriend brought here seeing eye dog and he watched the entire BF concert with us from the 1st row, it was a real hoot! Good thing they did not play DOGS that tour!) and sometimes all the way back 25+ rows and it never made any difference, the sound was always better than anything I had ever herd. My opinion is if the venue is big enough for the arch lighting then go with the bigger sound otherwise I vote for the sound of all the previous tours...
Remember A Day

Re: Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC, 4/14/13 4 years 4 months ago #2950

• Skeens43
  • Thank you received: 25
I saw my first Brit Floyd show at Durham and was impressed enough I saw them again last night in Asheville. In Durham I was on the balcony level, dead center, third row back. It was a great show, all the muscians excellent, however, agree totally with all whom say the bass mix was too intense. This no fault of the band, or even the Durham Performing Arts Center, but having sitting "above" the stage and rigging left us looking INTO the floor lights a lot, plus a lot of the arch servo lighting effects were blocked by the curtain header. honestly, I didn't have it my mind they'd be better in a basketball type arena, but they were! All the problems of Durham didn't exist at Asheville. The sound was absolutely top notch, best mix I've ever heard in a live setting. Same with the lighting. Interestingly enough, I read a comment above about the best sound will be at the mixing boards and ironically that's exactly where we were. Without the front of the stage getting in the way the lights could shine into infiniti and dance in the rafters and sitting at eye level with the stage made it THE MOST IMPRESSIVE LIGHT AND SOUND I've ever seen. If I score Asheville a 10, then I'd score Durham an 8.
  • Page: