Brit Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute Show - Discovery Tour 2014
Brit Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute Show - The World's Greatest Pink Floyd Show
Brit Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute Show - Discovery Tour 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Asheville, US Cellular Arena April 18, 2013

Asheville, US Cellular Arena April 18, 2013 4 years 5 months ago #2952

My husband came home from work on March 19 and saw that UNC TV was doing a fundraiser featuring Brit Floyd that night so he set the DVR to tape it just out of curiosity. I had an incredibly stressful day, and came in too tired to even eat dinner. We turned on the concert and were completely blown away by it! We cranked it up and watched it all the way through, completely in awe of what we were seeing. By the end, we were online looking at tickets. Our son, who lives in Raleigh, wanted to go with us, so we purchased tickets to the DPAC show on Sunday, April 14. We found ourselves watching the DVR tape of the concert many times in the month we waited for the actual concert. It is so relaxing and mesmerizing, especially after a stressful day. We have dubbed those days "Brit Floyd Days" because that is what we do as soon as we get home, and it always transports us to a better place. Our sons often call when we are cranking it and they are amused by their parents being so obsessed with a concert.
We were really excited when the Durham concert day finally arrived. We were not disappointed! We had seats in the lower balcony near the middle. We have seen many rock legends perform through the years, and this concert was every bit as good as any of them. The musicians are flawless, absolutely perfect. And they make it look effortless. Seeing it live, with the unbelievable light show was a spectacular experience! Our 25 year old son, who also loves classic rock, was completely blown away by the performance as well. Even though we had to drive two hours to get home after the concert, and didn't get much sleep for work the next day, it didn't matter. We rocked out to the CD in the car all the way home.
It was a real joy to finally have the actual DVD that we could watch instead of the partial concert we had been watching from the recording. Monday and Tuesday after the concert, while listening to it at work, the idea of going to Asheville on Thursday began to seem more and more like a great idea. So we bought tickets, left work early and drove over two hours to get there. When we arrived in Asheville, it was a lot like a high school gym. We were in the center, on the fifth row of the first risers, which put us behind the sound boards, level with the stage. What a great place to be for this amazing performance! The crowd, though smaller than it should have been, was very enthusiastic from the beginning. (The crowd in Durham was a bit more subdued overall.) It was even better this time because we knew how great it was going to be. All of the band members were in perfect form again, and hopefully they felt appreciated because the crowd was loving every minute of it. It is hard to describe how awesome this concert experience is unless you have been to it. The musical perfection, combined with the visual effects, is a rare experience. It is amazing how perfectly synchronized the whole thing is, and they never miss a beat. All in all, it was one of the best concerts we have ever witnessed-both nights!
We sincerely hope that Brit Floyd will continue touring and will always come back to NC to as many venues as they can. We had two nights with only 4 hours of sleep on a work night in the same week, and it was totally worth it. If we weren't responsible adults with jobs, etc. it would be really tempting to just pack up and follow them around the country. We were disappointed to see the empty seats in both arenas, and felt like a concert of this caliber should be playing to packed houses. We both have backgrounds in marketing and believe that they need to do more aggressive promotions to get the word out. We wouldn't have known about them if we hadn't stumbled across it on TV. They weren't on our Ticketmaster alert list because we didn't know they existed. Before this, we never realized that a tribute band could be so awesome. We have several DVD's of David Gilmour performing the same songs and we like Damien's performance better. No one can replace Gilmour and Waters and the rest, especially since they wrote the material, but no one plays it better than Brit Floyd. It is truly a joy to witness a show with such attention to detail and musical talent. You simply could not improve on it regardless of the venue. We hope that word will spread and they will come back in the not too distant future, with a more aggressive promotional campaign. They go to such lengths for Pink Floyd perfection, they deserve to play to packed arenas. They seriously do justice to a legendary band.
To all the band members, you have made a lasting impression on our family, and know that while you are touring around the world, we are here in NC enjoying your performance on DVD and CD regularly. Please consider releasing the entire Liverpool concert on a CD and DVD that we can purchase so we can have all the rest of the songs. Would love to see your stuff on Amazon because YOU ARE THE BEST! Come back soon, can't wait to see you again! Rock On!
PS Would also LOVE TO SEE THE CLASSIC ROCK SHOW IN NC!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Asheville, US Cellular Arena April 18, 2013 4 years 5 months ago #2953

• Vogon
  • Thank you received: 14
The whole of the Liverpool concert is on YouTube
Dentrassi Hate Vogon's
Hagra biscuit! The greatest! You'll love these guys!

"A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on."
The following user(s) said Thank You: KRNoftle

Re: Asheville, US Cellular Arena April 18, 2013 4 years 5 months ago #2954

• Rob55
:cheer: I totally agree with everything you said. I only found out about the band from watching PBS, which I am grateful for. I agree, more marketing needs to be done. I was shocked to see so many empty seats, in Asheville, of all places. The new-age capital of the eastern US.

I would rate the concert as one of the best I have ever been to in my life. Those musicians we witnessed, are with out a doubt, the best in the world.

If any of the musicians ever read these discussions, I would like to personally thank you for an absolutely amazing performance.

To have one guitar player as good, if not better than David Gilmour, but to have two of them playing together, is beyond words.

Thanks to all of the musicians, and technicians, that put together this "EPIC" event.

Thanks for coming to NC, and we hope you will return, soon!

Re: Asheville, US Cellular Arena April 18, 2013 4 years 5 months ago #2955

• Skeens43
  • Thank you received: 25
This is freaky... My story is so similar to the one above. A few weeks ago I was channel surfing and caught the end of the Brit Floyd show on P.B.S. Regretfully, I had no idea they even existed! I started looking at YouTube videos, went to the website looked at their tour schedule, and by chance (or luck), discovered they were coming the Durham then later the same week, Asheville. I took my family including my wife's sister & her family. We sat on the balcony level, dead center, third row. This group was everything I thought it would be - excellent! I live in Boone and initially I didn't even think about going to Asheville. My brother-in-law was so stoked after Durham he called me Wednesday and we decided to go for it again so off we went to Asheville and boy we were glad we did! If it could be possible, it was a better show. The band was set behind a curtain wall in Durham and many of the lighting effects were abbreviated by it. Not so in Asheville. Once again we had great seats in the riser section, dead center (again), first row (nobody's big head in front of us!) directly behind the sound / lighting boards. This time nothing blocking the lights and more than a couple times we had to say, "Holly s--t!" at some of the effects they presented. Even the sound was better. I'm 48 and been to a boat load of concerts including names like Clapton, McCartney, Sting, Van Halen. Without a doubt the Asheville Brit Floyd concert has been the best show I've ever seen. What a perfect blend of lights, sound, music, musicians. The biggest disappointment was the small crowd at Asheville. What the hell is wrong with people? Candidly it embarrassed me (for Brit Floyd) to walk out on a stage and see so many empty seats. Is it a generational thing? A weeknight concert? I see the shows these guys are doing all over the world to big crowds then they come to a place like Asheville and can't fill the place? I don't get it. Not only do I feel sorry for the group, but what about the Asheville Civic Center folks that paid this group to play? They pay the same to Brit Floyd no matter what. My guess is when planning future events they won't be asking Brit Floyd back because the community didn't come out and they didn't make money. It really stinks that people try to bring quality entertainment to us and people don't support it. Next time anybody complains about having to drive to Atlanta, Washington, etc., moments like this should be considered. Great job Brit Floyd! Shame on Asheville!

Re: Asheville, US Cellular Arena April 18, 2013 4 years 5 months ago #2957

Thanks for your response. I thought maybe we were the only ones who were crazy enough to go to both concerts in the same week on work nights. It was totally worth it. The rest of the tour is just too far away to go to any more shows. We really appreciate knowing that others had the same experience that we did. :)

Re: Asheville, US Cellular Arena April 18, 2013 4 years 5 months ago #2958

• Rob55
:) I just wanted to say thank you again, to the musicians, and technicians, that put on a concert I will always remember, before your journey to Asheville, NC, becomes a long distant memory for you.

The small crowd was no doubt due to not many people knowing about the concert. How did I find out? Well, one evening I was channel surfing, and came across PBS doing a membership drive. I heard Pink Floyd playing, or so I thought it was the real band, so I decided to leave it on. I was in shock. The song being played was Comfortably Numb. One of the greatest rock songs of all time. When it was time for the lead solo, which in my opinion, is the greatest guitar solo ever, along with Stairway to Heaven, I did not see David Gilmour, but someone else. The first thing I thought, was David was sick, and had to have a replacement.

My mind was blown away. I turned the TV as loud as it would go, and was left in shock, by what I thought was the greatest guitar solo I have EVER heard. It was not David Gilmour, but Damian Darlington. What I heard was actually better than the original, which I never thought was possible. I was immediately hooked. I made a pledge for tickets, CD, and DVD.

Most people when they hear tribute band, they don't think too much of it. When I heard the music, I could not believe what I was hearing. I never dreamed anyone could duplicate Pink Floyd's music, but Brit Floyd did, and even took it to a higher level, in my opinion.

If more people had heard Brit Floyd's music, and knew they were coming to Asheville, the place would have been packed, which I was expecting, before coming. I could not believe my eyes. The greatest musicians in the world were playing to a half empty venue. I felt ashamed, but it did not dampen the enjoyment I had.

I am a lifelong fan of Brit Floyd now, and I consider my self one of the "lucky" ones, that got to hear, and see, the most musically perfect concert, I have ever been to in my life. I also have seen some of the biggest stars, as someone else pointed out. Brit Floyd's performance was better than any I have been to.

Please return to NC in the future. With more advertising, which should absolutely include snippets of your music, and emphasis, this music is Brit Floyd, not the real Pink Floyd, I am sure the crowds will be what they should be.

I feel honored to have been able to see and hear, the spectacular show you performed.

You all will always have a special place in my heart, and I will never forget that night.

Thanks a million times over! Hope to see you again.

Rob in NC
  • Page: