Brit Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute Show - Discovery Tour 2014
Brit Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute Show - The World's Greatest Pink Floyd Show
Brit Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute Show - Discovery Tour 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Edison's Children - In The Last Waking Moments...

Edison's Children - In The Last Waking Moments... 9 years 10 months ago #2129

• Proph
  • Life is the bit in between
  • Thank you received: 83
This album came out towards the end of 2011 and I've only just caught up with it.

If "In The Last Waking Moments" had been released without an artist's name, it would be very easy to think it was the prequel to 2012's "Not The Weapon But The Hand" by Steve Hogarth & Richard Barbieri. There are some stunning similarities between the albums - at least to my ears. Of interest, possibly :) , is that Pete Trewavas of Marillion (and Transatlantic) is one of the primary writers behind the project. Steve Hogarth and the rest of Marillion all make contributions to the album in one form or another.

A generally melancholic theme runs through "In The Last Waking Moments" with the exception of a couple of songs which suddenly change the direction of the album into very busy and, arguably, psychedelic territory. Personally I'm not too keen on the disruption to the general flow but others may find differently.

Musical references... Well, apart from the Hogarth / Barbieri similarities, there are definite nods to Marillion circa 2004's Marbles. It also may or may not be a reflection of Marillion's direction that had Marillion's new song "Power" been included in the Edison's Children album, no one would have thought twice about whether it fitted in or not. Equally, had the ED album been released as a Marillion album, no one would have blinked about that either - other than to (perhaps) suggest it was a significant improvement on the last two Marillion albums (Somewhere Else / Happiness Is The Road).

Other very obvious references include Porcupine Tree, Mike Oldfield, Gazpacho and even touches of Airbag.

For me, there is more to like than not and Nick for one is likely to be at least interested if he hasn't already heard the album :) .

Band's site: www.edisonschildren.com
Reviews: www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=35799

NB: On the off-chance anyone wonders, I have no vested interest or connection with the band or its members.
"If the bastards get you down, take them with you".
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Edison's Children - In The Last Waking Moments... 9 years 10 months ago #2131

• Nick
  • Thank you received: 53
I've only listened to the promo video so far, but I like this a lot. The references are all over the place, some Floyd, Genesis, PT, Marillion ...
I don't know why, but there it is.
The administrator has disabled public write access.