Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Headphones....what to get?

Headphones....what to get? 9 years 4 months ago #1915

• Proph
  • Life is the bit in between
  • Thank you received: 83
Help please....:)

Over the years, I have tried several sets of headphones at differing price ranges with hugely variable results. Reviews tend to be less than helpful with such stunning insight as "They're grrrrreat" and "Got them for a friend who hasn't complained" and "Didn't like the packaging" :dry: . Surprisingly enough, words/phrases such as "exciting delivery" and "brash but cute" really don't add much more. Even the professional reviews seem personally based rather than objectively considered.

So, what to get? Current preferred phones are Sennheiser PX 100-II but the bass has been boosted a touch too much for a natural sound - a kind of "almost but not quite" situation. I also have a set of Sennheiser HD 205s but when pushed at any serious volume they have a tendency to "scream" back at the top end, particularly with "loud" recordings (such as some remasters; notably Genesis and Porcupine Tree).

I'm starting to think the best way forward is a pair of "neutral" phones; maybe of the studio monitor variety so that the sound produced will reflect the originally intended sound of the audio source (I haven't forgotten that source equipment will also affect the output). "Toppy", "wallowy" or "muffled" are all no-nos. Sources used include hi-fi down to laptop. The option of investing in a separate headphone amp is a possibility depending on any info / pointers given in response to this post.

Thoughts on headphones welcomed (I don't use in-ear phones).
"If the bastards get you down, take them with you".
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Headphones....what to get? 9 years 4 months ago #1917

• Nick
  • Thank you received: 53
I've got a trusty old pair of Sennheiser HD 600s. They must be about 10 years old, and Sennheiser is still making them.
I don't know why, but there it is.

Headphones....what to get? 9 years 4 months ago #1919

• Vogon
  • Thank you received: 14
I used to strap a pair of Wharfedale E70's to the floor, and sit in between them.

admittedly, folk in the room could hear the music a little.

Good luck with the quest Proph
Dentrassi Hate Vogon's
Hagra biscuit! The greatest! You'll love these guys!

"A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on."

Re: Headphones....what to get? 9 years 4 months ago #1934

• Orphan_Soul
  • Thank you received: 1
It's a difficult one coz everyone hears music differently so there will be a bucket full of different reasons for and against a certain set.

But for what its worth i use a pair of Sennheiser HD 555's for when i plug into my music system that is also connected to my desktop computer and telly. I bought them a couple of years ago on the grounds that they are more geared towards classical music. Which is perfect for listening to Floyd and also rock music in general. The only thing is is that they need cranked up to get the best out of them and allowed to 'burn in' - also they need modified by opening them up and taking out the square bit of soundproofing to let the trebbles sing a bit better. They have velvet over the ear type cups so are comfortable apart from the padded headband that can feel very uncomfortable after a couple of hours. They also have a fat plug on the end of the thankfully very long lead instead of a skinny plug. I cant remember if a reducer is supplied but they are cheap as chips anyhow.

When it comes to laptop's i use and would only ever recommend the in ear bud type of phones. The reason is because laptops etc are meant to be jack of all trades and master of none. But dont be fooled by thinking a cheap pair will do the job. I bought a Walkman MP3 player a few years ago and the supplied buds actually cost more than the mp3 player. I have no idea how they made a profit but i wasnt complaining because they are stonking for sound through my netbook and like the Sennheiser's i mentioned earlier they dont rattle when pushed to eleven.

As a rule - over ear closed cup will sound a bit muffled but bassier - over ear open cup will sound a bit more spacial so you can point out where the instrument and how close it is but will be feeling it lacks bass until your ears adjust - For laptops and portable devices ear buds are the best choice if you arent stupid enough to spend under 70 quid because the music and movies will be left lacking and have scratchy sounds coming across anything the wire touches such as a t-shirt etc.

At the end of the day it all comes down to individual preference and what you are expecting from the source of the music ie amplifiers and bitrate of the mp3's. I'm just a normal bloke who doesnt have a shed load of pre-amps and money to spend so i chose wisely. I needed and found some good phones that sound just as good sober as well as packing when i have had a few drinks or smokes on board.

Peace

Re: Headphones....what to get? 9 years 4 months ago #1943

• Proph
  • Life is the bit in between
  • Thank you received: 83
Thanks for the info & suggestions so far. I'll update as and when I have tried and either hated or liked a pair.

Strike 1: cheap (under £20): Skullcandy "Icon" - poor bottom end and pretty raspy at the top end. Returned :).

Strike 2: under consideration - Koss Porta Pro (reviews indicate similar to Sennheiser PX100-IIs but with a more natural bottom end). Build quality comes in for criticism.

Amongst others, Sennheiser HD 558s also shortlisted (update version of the 555s). 600s are beyond my reach at the moment, but noted for future reference.
"If the bastards get you down, take them with you".
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Proph. Reason: typo

Re: Headphones....what to get? 9 years 4 months ago #1949

• BuddyB
  • Thank you received: 146
Proph,

The headphones that I use are the Sony MDR 7506's. The reviews speak for themselves.
  • Page: