Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Headphones....what to get?

Re: Headphones....what to get? 9 years 3 months ago #1974

• Proph
  • Life is the bit in between
  • Thank you received: 83
Update... (I just KNEW you wanted to know... :) ).)

As indicated in my last post, I bit the bullet and went for the cheap-as-chips (as headphones go) Koss Porta Pro headphones. First impressions of the sound stage are good, decent detail and plenty of bottom end without being invasive. The bottom end is just a touch muddy but it's far from being "bad". I'll given them some burn-in time and will repost if the character changes significantly. The build quality is a bit flimsy so the set will have to be treated with care.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. All of the phones mentioned have been noted for future reference if/when I look for a higher spec pair.
"If the bastards get you down, take them with you".
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Headphones....what to get? 8 years 3 weeks ago #3381

• chevvies
  • Thank you received: 1
For neutrality you would need Beyer DT 100 or 150.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proph

Re: Headphones....what to get? 7 years 10 months ago #3406

• Proph
  • Life is the bit in between
  • Thank you received: 83
OK, having found myself with funds to fritter away (sorry, "spend wisely") on some headphones, I finally decided to get.... two pairs to add to the Koss Porta Pros.

Firstly, thanks for the suggestions - they were helpful. I ended up adding sets of Yamaha HPH-200 + Sony MDR-7506. All three sets have broadly similar characteristics for mids and trebs with the Yamaha set being slightly warmer. The main difference is at the bottom end. The Yamaha set is a touch "boxy" and the Sony set is quite precise with very little "boom". The Koss Porta Pros have perfectly decent bottom end but, unsurprisingly, not quite the depth of the larger sets. All three sets have more than decent stereo staging and instrument placement.

I disposed of (ie sold on) a pair of Sennheiser PX-100 IIs (fake / boosted bottom end) and a pair of Sennheiser HD 205s (tendency to "scream" back at raised volumes + headband too tight - and no, my head isn't THAT big :) ).

I also demoed a set of Beyer Dynamic DT-150s but, to my ears, the Sony MDR-7506s had greater clarity without being sterile. Also demoed were sets of Studiospares M1000 and Studiospares M2000 which were very comfortable but, for me, the soundstage seemed a bit compressed (by comparison) and there was a tendency to "scream" at moderate+ volumes.
"If the bastards get you down, take them with you".

Re: Headphones....what to get? 7 years 10 months ago #3423

If you're on a budget I bought a pair of Grado's for under a 100 bucks. Very nice sound for the money at Crutchfield. Most people commented on liking them very much for the price. Base model is like $60 and the next is $90. That's what I bought. Crutchfield is a very reputable company and will gladly take returns without the least bit of hassle. My only complaint is the bass could be a little better(I'm an ex bass palyer) but I just adjust the settings on my receiver to make up for it.
  • Page: